Yes Evolution, not Resolution. I have to admit that I love New Year’s Day. I love how it offers a fresh page, a blank canvas for re-invention, reflection and re-calibration.
Those New Year’s Resolutions, the ones we all know about, are easy to predict: Exercise more, lose weight, quit smoking/drinking, spend more time with family, make more money/save more money, travel more, get married, etc.
What a field day for our inner saboteurs! It’s the perfect opportunity for our sabotaging self to get sucked right in.
Here’s part of the problem with resolutions and why they’re so hard to achieve: They’re small, narrow, and vague about their purpose, inspiration or significance and they emphasize how you are not good enough. And they lack magnificence, passion, and inspiration.
Our powerful self wants something LARGE to hold us accountable – to keep us inspired, thrilled and captivated. Loving and appreciating ourselves gives us leverage against our saboteur.
That’s where Evolution, and evolving, comes in.
It’s understood that we are all on a path of self-discovery: learning, growing and continuing in our evolution. The notion of personal evolution offers space for you to change, to re-invent yourself, to be open to new possibilities and opportunities.
Evolving is process-oriented, dynamic, and focuses on what you are learning about yourself and how you want to change. It asks that you be curious, active and self-aware.
Here are 7 questions to ponder about Your 2011 New Year’s Evolution:
- What were your biggest wins, successes and accomplishments in 2010?
- What did you do for yourself in 2010 that you want to celebrate (i.e. personal development, health, family, career/life purpose, finances, etc)?
- What were your biggest disappointments, frustrations and losses?
- What would you do differently next time?
- What have you learned about yourself in 2010?
- How will you continue your personal growth in 2011?
- What 1 action will you take in the next week to commit to your growth in 2011?
Warm wishes for an extraordinary and transcendent 2011!